Lake City Fire Chief, Lynn Boyd, says that in his 37 years serving the department, Tuesday’s blaze at Dobson Pipe Organ Builders is the worst downtown fire he has ever seen. He says there were two different structural segments to the business and describes where the flames were located when his firefighters responded at about 4:40 p.m.
The fire spread rapidly and according to Boyd, there were several factors that contributed to the speed and ferocity of this blaze.
Boyd says he spoke with the employee who was burned in an attempt to put out the fire.
That employee reportedly suffered burns on his arms and possibly some on his face. Boyd says six of his firefighters stayed at the scene all night as the rubble—that is all that remains of the business—smoldered well into the late morning. Around 11 a.m., seven members of the team were waiting on a loader that was being brought in to help bury and smother those hot spots. The only other damage reported was to the roof of the adjacent Community Building. Fire departments from Manson, Lytton, Rockwell City, Lohrville, Lanesboro and Auburn assisted. Rockwell City and Manson share ownership of a Snorkel™ boom truck that is stored at the Twin Lakes station. This was brought in to help them battle the fire from above. Carroll Broadcasting is expecting to get more details from a Dobson Pipe Organ Builders representative yet today. We will bring you that interview in an upcoming newscast. The world-renowned business was founded by Lynn A. Dobson in 1974, who retired early last year. They have built and refurbished some of the world’s most magnificent instruments housed in cathedrals, performing arts centers and on college campuses.