Carroll Fire Chief, Greg Schreck, said a local business owner is fortunate that a burglar alarm alerted him and the Carroll Police Department to an issue, as that alarm caught an attic fire in the early stages. At a little before 8:30 p.m. last night (Thursday), the alarm was set off at the Iowa Small Engine Center at 306 North Carroll Street. That burglar alarm was false, but there was a light haze of smoke hanging in the air in the building and the fire department was notified. Schreck said at some point during the day, a wood-burning furnace chimney overheated and ignited cellulose insulation at a point where the chimney exited the shop and entered the attic space. Firefighters were able to enter the attic area, quickly extinguish the fire and remove the smoldering insulation and wood framing. Schreck said, “Had it not been for some good luck in response to the false burglar alarm, this fire most likely would have gone unnoticed with catastrophic results.” The Carroll Fire Department was on the scene for approximately one hour. No injuries were reported.