Students pursuing degrees in healthcare-related fields are eligible to apply for a variety of scholarships through the West Central Iowa Healthcare Foundation (WCIHF) in Manning. The 2017/18 school year scholarships include: two Mary Meiners Scholarships at $1,000 each; the Mary Jo Farr Memorial Scholarship of $500; The Philip L. Myer, D.O. Scholarship in the amount of $5,000; the Connie Snyder Memorial Scholarship for $500; and the West Central Iowa Healthcare Foundation Scholarship which will be awarded based on demand and qualifications. This year, the WCIHF has made some changes to their criteria. They have opened up the geographical region of eligibility to any student attending a high school in a 30-mile radius of Manning Regional Healthcare Center and students seeking Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification are eligible to apply for that scholarship. A full listing of each individual scholarship eligibility requirements can be found below. All applications must be postmarked by Friday, March 17 for consideration. Applications are available at MRHC, from high school guidance counselors, by contacting Sarah Foley at 712-655-8121 or online at www.mrhcia.com Winners will be notified on May 1.
- The Mary Meiners Scholarship.This scholarship is named in honor of Mary Meiners, assistant director of nursing at Manning Regional Healthcare Center (MRHC) for over 24 years. Sponsored by the Mary Meiners family, this award recognizes the efforts of those planning to pursue a career in nursing or to further their education in nursing. Applicants for this scholarship must reside within 15 miles of MRHC or be currently employed or have a family member currently employed by MRHC. Two scholarships will be awarded, each worth $1000. Past Mary Meiners Scholarship recipients are not eligible to re-apply.
- The Mary Jo Farr Memorial Scholarship.Mary Jo Farr was a long-time resident of the MRHC – Plaza, and this scholarship is awarded in her memory. Sponsored by the Mary Jo Farr family, this scholarship is available to MRHC – Plaza employees and their family members. Applicants must be pursuing a degree in a health care related field. One scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $500.
- Philip L. Myer, D.O. Scholarship.This scholarship is open only to students entering or already enrolled in medical school to become a doctor. One scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $5,000. Past Philip L. Myer, D.O. Scholarship recipients are not eligible to re-apply.
- The Connie Snyder Memorial Scholarship.As a counselor tech with the Manning Family Recovery Center, Connie Snyder showed incomparable compassion and understanding for MFRC’s clients. In Connie’s honor, her family is sponsoring this $500 scholarship, to be awarded to an individual pursuing an education in counseling and/or social work.
- The West Central Iowa Healthcare Foundation Scholarship.Applicants for this scholarship must live or attend high school within a 30-mile radius of MRHC. Interested applicants who work at MRHC or have a family member employed by MRHC are also eligible. Applicants must be pursuing a degree in a health care related field. WCIHF will award scholarships according to demand and qualified applications.
Changes this year for a WCIHF scholarship: anyone attending high school within a 30-mile radius of MRHC can apply for the scholarship, previously they had to live within 30-miles and those pursuing their Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification can apply.